- Shooting at Tripoli demonstrations: MoI identifies shooters, will investigate and reveal results
- Haftar rejects ceasefire announced by Libyan GNA and HoR
- European Union welcomes ceasefire in Libya
- NOC to export first shipment after lifting of 7-month blockade
- IOM, UNHCR call for urgent action after 45 die in largest recorded shipwreck
- Currency Exchange:
- Bank exchange rate: USD 1 – LYD 1.3732
- Black market exchange rate: USD 1 – LYD 6.38
Shooting at Tripoli demonstrations: MoI identifies shooters, will investigate and reveal results
The Interior Ministry aligned to the internationally recognized Libyan government in Tripoli has acknowledged the shooting by pro-government forces against unarmed civilian demonstrators in Tripoli yesterday. The demonstrations took part in several cities, including Tripoli, Misrata and Zawia. Non were reported in eastern-based cities under the control of Khalifa Haftar. The demonstrations were against the poor living conditions in the country, including frequent and lengthy power and water cuts over the years, fuel, cooking gas and cash shortages, poor services and security, and rising number of cases of Coronavirus. LIBYA HERALD
Haftar rejects ceasefire announced by Libyan GNA and HoR
Ahmed al-Mismari, a spokesman for Haftar’s forces, told a televised news conference that Libyan Prime Minister Fayez Al-Sarraj’s proposal “represents nothing but throwing dust in eyes and deceiving the local and international public.” “The initiative that Al-Sarraj signed is for media propaganda,” Al-Mismari said during a briefing for journalists. “There is a military build-up and the transfer of equipment to target our forces in Sirte.” He pointed out. “If Sarraj wanted a cease-fire, he would have drawn his forces back, not advanced toward our units in Sirte,” Al-Mismari said. He also said Haftar’s forces are prepared to respond to any attempt to attack their bases in Sirte and Jufra, currently under their control. LIBYAN EXPRESS
European Union welcomes ceasefire in Libya
The European Union warmly welcomed the announcements issued on August 21, 2020, on a ceasefire in Libya as a constructive first step forward, which demonstrates the determination of the Libyan leaders to overcome the current stalemate. The EU said these announcements will create a new hope for a common ground towards a peaceful political solution to the longstanding Libyan crisis and the termination of all foreign interference throughout the country. ”We fully support the agreement around the principles to immediately cease all military activities across Libya, requiring the departure of all foreign fighters and mercenaries present in Libya, and resume the negotiating process in the framework of the UN-led Berlin process. EMIRATES NEWS AGENCY
NOC to export first shipment after lifting of 7-month blockade
Libya’s state National Oil Corporation (NOC) said that it was preparing to load its first shipment of condensates from its Brega oil port. Oil exports had been halted for 219 days. The NOC reported that today, the oil tanker Valle Di Siviglia arrived at dawn at the eastern Libyan port of Brega, at its request. It said the tanker will ship 30,000 tons of condensate stored in the port to free up adequate storage capacity to enable continuation of natural gas production at its current levels of around 160 million cubic feet per day. This, it added, will lessen the current number and severity of power cuts. LIBYA HERALD
IOM, UNHCR call for urgent action after 45 die in largest recorded shipwreck
The International Organization for Migration (IOM), and UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, are deeply saddened by the tragic death of at least 45 migrants and refugees on 17 August, in the largest recorded shipwreck off the Libyan coast this year. Some 37 survivors – mainly from Senegal, Mali, Chad and Ghana were rescued by local fishermen and later detained upon disembarkation. They reported to IOM staff that 45 others including five children lost their lives when the vessel’s engine exploded off the coast of Zwara. The two organizations are calling for a review of States’ approach to the situation after this latest tragic incident in the Mediterranean. There is an urgent need to strengthen the current search and rescue capacity to respond to distress calls. UNHCR
List of holidays in Libya 2020
Exchange rates – Libyan Dinar
According to our most recent information (24th August 2020) the Libyan Dinar has the following exchange rates.
The exchange rate from your own bank or credit card company will differ somewhat from the exchange rates as mentioned above. Your bank or credit card company might also apply additional international charges.
LIBYA SECURITY & RISK LEVELS
Crime levels in Libya remain high, including the threat of kidnapping for ransom. Westerners and U.S. citizens have been targets of these crimes.
Terrorist groups continue plotting attacks in Libya. Violent extremist activity in Libya remains high, and extremist groups have made threats against U.S. government officials and citizens. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, hotels, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, and government facilities.
Outbreaks of violence between competing armed groups can occur with little warning and have the potential to impact U.S. citizens. The capital, Tripoli, and other cities, such as Surman, Al-Jufra, Misrata, Ajdabiya, Benghazi, Sabha, and Dernah, have witnessed fighting among armed groups, as well as terrorist attacks. Hotels and airports frequented by Westerners have been the targets of these attacks. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
For the latest information regarding COVID-19, please visit:
If you decide to travel to Libya:
- Carry proof of citizenship and valid immigration status at all times.
- Avoid demonstrations and crowds.
- Make contingency plans to leave.
- Establish your own personal security plan in coordination with your employer or host organisation or consider consulting with a professional security organization.
- Develop a communication plan with family and/or your employer or host organization.
UN urges probe into ‘excessive use of force’ at Tripoli protest
The UN mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has called on the country’s internationally recognised government to “conduct an immediate and thorough investigation” after security forces used excessive force against demonstrators in Tripoli.
Hundreds of Libyans gathered in the capital on Sunday to protest against deteriorating living conditions and corruption before security personnel fired into the air to disperse them, according to reports. “The rights to peaceful assembly, protest and freedom of expression are fundamental human rights and fall within Libya’s obligations under international human rights law,” UNSMIL said in a news release on Monday 24 Aug. Videos and photographs circulating on social media showed men in military clothing aiming their guns towards protesters in one of the capital’s streets. One protester told the AFP news agency that demonstrators had left Tripoli’s Martyrs’ Square after “security forces started firing in the air”.
UNSMIL noted the people demonstrating were “motivated by frustrations” at the government for providing a lack of basic services for them. Libya’s Government of National Accord (GNA) said late on Sunday that the individuals responsible for the violence “do not belong to the security forces”, adding they would be arrested.
Optimism about Libyan ceasefire agreement but devil in the detail
The announcement of a ceasefire by the rival factions in the Libyan conflict sparked cautious optimism, amid fears that its implementation could be stalled due to the likely emergence of differences over details.
The head of the Presidential Council of the Government of National Accord, Fayez al-Sarraj, and the Speaker of the Libya House of Representatives, Aguila Saleh, issued two statements on Friday, declaring a ceasefire across the whole of the Libyan territory. The two statements included a call for “the resumption of oil production and export, and blocking its revenues in a special account at the Libyan Foreign Bank, which will not be touched until a political settlement is reached in accordance with the outcomes of the Berlin Conference, and with the guarantee of the UN mission and the international community.”
The two statements reflected consensus on a number of points, including the issue of disposition of oil revenues and making Sirte and Jufra regions a demilitarized zone. But divergences on some details regarding the contested regions, which were the focus of escalation during the last period, may impede the implementation of the agreement.
REGIONAL REPORTED INCIDENT NUMBERS: 18 – 25 AUGUST 20
Libya’s High Council of State has categorically rejected dialogue with renegade General Khalifa Haftar stressing the need for an immediate ceasefire and to allow the Government of National Accord (GNA) to spread its control over all Libyan territory, Libya Al-Ahrar reported. According to the channel, parliament urged the MPs to take immediate action to conclude all previous agreements regarding the reduction of the Presidential Council and separating it from the government, in addition to the implementation of article 15 of the political agreement regarding sovereign positions, the immediate opening of oil fields and ports, and holding those responsible for their closure and the waste of the people’s wealth to account. MEMO
The Head of the Presidential Council Fayez Al-Sarraj has received an invitation from the French President Emmanuel Macron to visit Paris, his media office reported Sunday. The media office added that the invitation was made on the phone as Al-Sarraj talked to the French ambassador to Libya, Beatrice de Helene. Al-Sarraj and de Helene talked about the developments in Libya and the bilateral relations between France and Libya, as the latter said Macron hailed the peace initiative made by Al-Sarraj on August 21. Al-Sarraj accepted the invitation and said his initiative included a ceasefire and resumption of oil production and exports as well as holding elections, adding that friend countries should assist Libya to materialize these decisions. LIBYA OBSERVER
The internationally recognized Libyan government of Faiez Serraj, based in the capital Tripoli, is creaking under pressure of popular discontent as Libyans continue to see it as an ineffective government daily. With reports that Tripoli-based militias aligned to the internationally recognized Libyan government breaking up demonstrations against the Serraj government by men, on Thursday night a small group of mostly women demonstrated in Algeria Square. With successive blackouts and 24-hour power cuts over the last week, Libyan youth have taken to the streets to demonstrate their anger, blocking roads and burning tyres. LIBYA HERALD
The European Union warmly welcomed the announcements issued on August 21, 2020, on a ceasefire in Libya as a constructive first step forward, which demonstrates the determination of the Libyan leaders to overcome the current stalemate. The EU said these announcements will create a new hope for a common ground towards a peaceful political solution to the longstanding Libyan crisis and the termination of all foreign interference throughout the country. ”We fully support the agreement around the principles to immediately cease all military activities across Libya, requiring the departure of all foreign fighters and mercenaries present in Libya, and resume the negotiating process in the framework of the UN-led Berlin process, according to a statement by the EU High Representative/Vice-President. EMIRATES NEWS AGENCY
As at 22 Aug, Libya’s National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) said there were 414 new cases yesterday, with 8,888 active cases, 1,053 recovered cases and 180 deaths. Libyans continue to meet socially, which is seen as the main cause of the increased spread. They have proven unable to prevent themselves from meeting family members, attending baby parties, weddings and funerals. This, despite a 24-hour weekend curfew. Many leave for an extended weekend at parent’s or relatives’ homes from Thursday.