- NOC announces resumption of oil production
- Tunisia approves reopening of Libya land border to passengers
- ‘Libya cease-fire won’t affect deals with Turkey’
- Immediate and permanent ceasefire agreement throughout Libya signed in Geneva
- IOM: 15 migrants drown off Libya’s Sabratha
- Currency Exchange:
- Bank exchange rate: USD 1 – LYD 1.3652
- Black market exchange rate: USD 1 – LYD 6.26
NOC announces resumption of oil production
Libya’s National Oil Corporation (NOC) has announced in a statement that it has lifted the ”force majeure in force at the last oil camp ”El Feel” (the elephant) and the end of closures of all oil fields, oil lines and ports starting on Monday, October 26, the date of resumption of oil production in Libya”. The announcement comes days after the signature of a ceasefire agreement by Libyan representatives reached in Geneva on October 23. ANSA MED
Tunisia approves reopening of Libya land border to passengers
Tunisian Prime Minister, Hichem Michichi, announced that he had granted permission to his country’s authorities to open the Ras Jedir border crossing with Libya. This came during a Tunisian Ministerial session yesterday which discussed the outcomes of the recent negotiations with Libya regarding the resumption of trade exchange and the movement of people between the two countries. The land border reopening will need to respect the health protocol agreed between Libya and Tunisia. It will be recalled that movement by land and air between the two countries stopped completely with the onset of the spread of the Corona pandemic and the complete closure of borders the two countries imposed to prevent the spread of the virus. LIBYA HERALD
‘Libya cease-fire won’t affect deals with Turkey’
Libyan authorities said Sunday that a permanent cease-fire reached during talks last week in Geneva would not affect military deals with Turkey and they would continue cooperation with Ankara. Libya’s Defense Ministry and High Council of State both issued statements on the truce reached Friday at UN headquarters in Geneva by the two Libyan delegations to the 5+5 Joint Military Commission talks. Touching on the cease-fire agreement signed under the leadership of the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) between delegations representing the Libyan government and Khalifa Haftar, the leader of illegitimate forces in the east of the country, Libyan Defense Minister Salaheddin al-Namroush said, “the signing of the initial agreement does not include the military cooperation agreement with the state of Turkey, an ally of the legitimate government.” AA
Immediate and permanent ceasefire agreement throughout Libya signed in Geneva
The United Nations Support Mission in Libya today announced that during the 5 + 5 Libyan Joint Military Commission (JMC) talks in Geneva, an agreement for an immediate and permanent ceasefire in all parts of Libya has today been signed. The agreement calls for the withdrawal of all forces from fighting fronts and all foreign mercenaries and forces from Libya within 90 days from today. It also calls for the suspension of all training of troops domestically and abroad as well as international defence agreements. The JMC also agreed on the formation of a Joint Operations Room for a joint police and military force. The agreement also agreed on the identification and categorization of all militias and a mechanism for their reintegration (DDR). LIBYA HERALD
IOM: 15 migrants drown off Libya’s Sabratha
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) said that 15 illegal migrants drowned on Wednesday off the coast of Sabratha. The IOM added that the Libyan Coast Guard intercepted more than 70 other migrants in the Mediterranean and returned them to Libya. It also pointed out that the European Border and Coast Guard Agency (Frontex)’s 100 million euros investment in drones to monitor the Mediterranean has not protected the lives of migrants. LIBYA OBSERVER
List of holidays in Libya 2020
Exchange rates – Libyan Dinar
According to our most recent information (25th October 2020) the Libyan Dinar has the following exchange rates.
The exchange rate from your own bank or credit card company will differ somewhat from the exchange rates as mentioned above. Your bank or credit card company might also apply additional international charges.
LIBYA SECURITY & RISK LEVELS
Crime levels in Libya remain high, including the threat of kidnapping for ransom. Westerners and U.S. citizens have been targets of these crimes.
Terrorist groups continue plotting attacks in Libya. Violent extremist activity in Libya remains high, and extremist groups have made threats against U.S. government officials and citizens. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, hotels, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, and government facilities.
Outbreaks of violence between competing armed groups can occur with little warning and have the potential to impact U.S. citizens. The capital, Tripoli, and other cities, such as Surman, Al-Jufra, Misrata, Ajdabiya, Benghazi, Sabha, and Dernah, have witnessed fighting among armed groups, as well as terrorist attacks. Hotels and airports frequented by Westerners have been the targets of these attacks. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
For the latest information regarding COVID-19, please visit:
If you decide to travel to Libya:
- Carry proof of citizenship and valid immigration status at all times.
- Avoid demonstrations and crowds.
- Make contingency plans to leave.
- Establish your own personal security plan in coordination with your employer or host organisation or consider consulting with a professional security organization.
- Develop a communication plan with family and/or your employer or host organization.
Turkey continues to train Libya’s GNA forces
Turkey has continued to train the special forces of the internationally recognised Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA), local media reported yesterday.
A video published by the GNA’s “Volcano of Rage” operation’s room showed Libyan forces carrying out military exercises in Turkey. The exercises were reported to have included 160 GNA soldiers as part of a five-month comprehensive training programme. The Turkey-funded initiative includes training on fighting methodologies, storming of fortified buildings, manoeuvres with live ammunition simulating the atmosphere of real battles, and training on shooting and the use of light and medium weapons.
Ankara has been funding and backing GNA forces, led by Fayez Al-Sarraj, since the eastern-based Libyan National Army (LNA), loyal to General Khalifa Haftar, launched a military operation to recapture the country’s capital city of Tripoli from the GNA last year. The LNA is supported by Russia, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
Ceasefire a positive step towards Libyan crisis resolution
The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) announced that two parties constituting the Joint Military Commission (5+5) reached an agreement on permanent ceasefire at the conclusion of the fourth round of this path, which had continued for a whole week.
According to the UN Envoy, Stephanie Williams, both parties agreed on ordering mercenaries to get out of the country within three months, setting-up a joint operation room and a limited military force made up of regular military personnel. Both military delegations agreed on classifying armed forces in order to integrate their personnel into the state’s institutions as well as the restructuring of forces responsible for securing oil complexes.
Williams said that the delegates of the Libyan National Army and the Government of National Accord asked the UNSMIL that the ceasefire deal be sent to the U.N. Security Council to be accredited and to ensure full and unconditional respect from all parties towards it. She pointed out that the UN Mission will send the agreement to the Security Council and that the international community should support Libyans in implementing the ceasefire.
REGIONAL REPORTED INCIDENT NUMBERS: 20 – 27 OCTOBER 20
Tripoli Protection Force reiterated on Sunday its rejection of the list of names invited by the UN mission to participate in the Libyan Political Dialogue Forum (LPDF), saying the names mentioned should have been on the Attorney General Office’s list. “Many of those in the mission’s list are controversial figures that had contributed to the destruction of the country and are accused of sparking sedition,” the force said in a statement on Facebook. The force questioned the criteria by which these figures were chosen once again after their role during the “lean years” in Libya. LIBYA OBSERVER
The military stalemate in Libya has revived political talks under the auspices of the UN. But they seem to be directed at maintaining the current transitional governing institutions. That approach risks prolonging the life of institutions that many Libyans see as illegitimate and ineffective. Instead there should be much greater emphasis on supporting Libyans to identify an inclusive national path towards establishing a constitutional order. Instead of subjecting Libyans to yet another transitional governance formula based on short term power sharing interests, the international community should put greater emphasis on supporting Libyans to identify an inclusive national path towards establishing a constitutional order. THE AFRICA REPORT
The Libyan High Council of State (HCS) has called for ceasing economic relations with French companies and cancelling France’s Total contract for operating Marathon’s Waha oil field. In a statement on Sunday, the HCS said the Presidential Council of the Government of National Accord should respond to the insults made by France against Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) by ending relations and work with French firms, urging the judicial authorities to deliver final verdicts on HCS’s appeal against the “dubious” acquisition of Marathon concessions by French oil firm Total. ” LIBYA OBSERVER
A new dimension to the peace process for Libya’s warring parties is being convened by the UN envoy to the North African country, the United Nations said in Geneva on Monday. A UN statement said Stephanie Turco Williams, who heads the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL), announced that the Libyan Political Dialogue Forum would take part in its first virtual meeting on Monday. “The resumption of the Libyan Political Dialogue Forum (LDPF) comes at a time of an overwhelming sense of hope emerged in Libya after the signing of a permanent, countrywide ceasefire agreement between Libyan parties, on 23 October in Geneva,” Williams was quoted as saying. AA
The Libyan Political Dialogue Forum process begins virtually today, and the live meeting will begin on November 09 in Tunis, UNSMIL announced yesterday. UNSMIL said ‘‘The resumption of the Libyan Political Dialogue Forum comes at a time of overwhelming hope following the signing of a permanent ceasefire agreement across Libya on October 23rd. Consultation meetings with several Libyan parties in previous months have facilitated the relaunch of the Libyan political forum’’. LIBYA HERALD
The number of confirmed coronavirus (COVID-19) cases in Libya rose to 56,013 including 30,731 recoveries and 795 fatalities on Sunday morning.