- NOC opens new Sinoun oilfield in west Libya
- Libya’s GNA Prime Minister pulls out his resignation
- Libya: Joint statement by France, Germany, Italy and UK
- Libyan Coast Guard Intercept 118 Illegal Migrants
- Libya and Malta sign transport MoU allowing for Medavia flight resumption
- IOM: Return of 154 Bangladeshi migrants to their homeland
- Currency Exchange:
- Bank exchange rate: USD 1 – LYD 1.3749
- Black market exchange rate: USD 1 – LYD 6.26
NOC opens new Sinoun oilfield in west Libya
Libya’s state National Oil Corporation (NOC) announced Friday the official opening of Sinoun oilfield (MN 100) near Nalut in western Libya. The oilfield has been under development since its discovery and the start of drilling in 1980. The NOC said a total of 48 wells had been drilled with 21 wells going on to be developed. Sinoun will be managed by the Benghazi-headquartered Arabian Gulf Oil Company (AGOCO), which NOC chairman Mustafa Sanalla said ‘‘is proof that Libya is one unit and one institution’’. LIBYAN HERALD
Libya’s GNA Prime Minister pulls out his resignation
Libyan Prime Minister Fayez Al-Sarraj said Friday that he gave up his decision to resign until a new government is formed. Sarraj will remain in office until the ongoing intra-Libyan political dialogue talks come to an end, Libyan government spokesman Galib al-Zaklai said on Twitter. The news came a day after the High Council of State urged Sarraj, the head of the Presidential Council, to stay until a new presidential council is selected in order to avoid a political vacuum and to keep Libya’s stability. LIBYAN EXPRESS
Libya: Joint statement by France, Germany, Italy and UK
The Governments of France, Germany, Italy and United Kingdom warmly welcome the results of the UN mediated Fourth Round of the intra-Libyan Joint Military Commission (5+5), the conclusion by the Libyan parties of a permanent cease-fire agreement and the announcement by the United Nations Support Mission in Libya of the launch of the Libyan Political Dialogue Forum (LPDF) which gathered remotely for the first time on October 26. The Governments of France, Germany, Italy and United Kingdom call on the Libyan parties to abide by their commitments and implement the agreement in full. LIBYA BUSINESS NEWS
Libyan Coast Guard Intercept 118 Illegal Migrants
The General Department of Coastal Security has announced that one of its Coast Guard boats intercepted a boat carrying 118 illegal migrants including 6 women and a child. The Interior Ministry said in coordination with the International Organisation of Migration the migrants were taken to a detention centre and offered food and medical assistance. LANA NEWS
Libya and Malta sign transport MoU allowing for Medavia flight resumption
A memorandum of understanding (MoU) was signed between Libya and Malta on cooperation in the field of aviation and maritime transport, the Libyan Airports Authority (LAA) reported 28 Oct 20. The MoU included an agreement to resume flights between the two countries through the Mediterranean Aviation Company (Medavia), provided that the necessary anti-Coronavirus pandemic measures are observed. Medavia is owned by the Libyan Foreign Investment Company. LIBYA HERALD
IOM: Return of 154 Bangladeshi migrants to their homeland
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) announced on Monday the return of 154 immigrants from Bangladesh to their homeland on a chartered flight, which took off from Benina Airport in Benghazi.
It noted that there were also seven Indian migrants on board the flight, who were being assisted by the IOM to reach India. The IOM added that more than 4,800 migrants stranded in Libya have registered, with the hope to return to their countries through the voluntary humanitarian return program implemented in conjunction with the European Union. LIBYA OBSERVER
List of holidays in Libya 2020
Exchange rates – Libyan Dinar
According to our most recent information (02nd November 2020) the Libyan Dinar has the following exchange rates.
The exchange rate from your own bank or credit card company will differ somewhat from the exchange rates as mentioned above. Your bank or credit card company might also apply additional international charges.
LIBYA SECURITY & RISK LEVELS
Crime levels in Libya remain high, including the threat of kidnapping for ransom. Westerners and U.S. citizens have been targets of these crimes.
Terrorist groups continue plotting attacks in Libya. Violent extremist activity in Libya remains high, and extremist groups have made threats against U.S. government officials and citizens. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, hotels, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, and government facilities.
Outbreaks of violence between competing armed groups can occur with little warning and have the potential to impact U.S. citizens. The capital, Tripoli, and other cities, such as Surman, Al-Jufra, Misrata, Ajdabiya, Benghazi, Sabha, and Dernah, have witnessed fighting among armed groups, as well as terrorist attacks. Hotels and airports frequented by Westerners have been the targets of these attacks. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
For the latest information regarding COVID-19, please visit:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC)
If you decide to travel to Libya:
- Carry proof of citizenship and valid immigration status at all times.
- Avoid demonstrations and crowds.
- Make contingency plans to leave.
- Establish your own personal security plan in coordination with your employer or host organisation or consider consulting with a professional security organization.
- Develop a communication plan with family and/or your employer or host organization.
LIBYA INCIDENT MAPPING: 27 OCTOBER – 03 NOVEMBER 20
LIBYA – SIGNIFICANT INCIDENTS IN DETAIL
Backup forces of Libyan Army demand legitimate status under National Guard
The backup forces and brigades of revolutionary fighters, who took part in Volcano of Rage Operation, loyal to the Government of National Accord (GNA) urged the House of Representatives and High Council of State in Tripoli to activate the formation of National Guard, which was agreed on in 2015, as it would cast legitimacy on the brigades of revolutionary fighters and backup forces.
The forces and revolutionaries called in a statement Saturday for speedy approval of a budget for the National Guard, so it starts working on securing the country and in a way, help collect the weapons spread among criminals and outlaws.
They also urged all revolutionary fighters and backup forces across Libya to thwart the “coup project” by joining the National Guard. The revolutionary fighters and backup forces said their statement came in a time of deteriorated economy and bad living conditions as well as amid speedy political and military developments and dialogues in and out of Libya.
Ceasefire Efforts in Libya Stumble at Tripoli Militias’ Refusal to Disband
The United Nations and its Security Council have threatened to sanction parties obstructing the implementation of the ceasefire that was agreed last week by delegations from the east-based Libyan National Army (LNA) and Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA). Despite the warning, informed sources in the capital Tripoli revealed that the ceasefire may stumble at efforts to disband militias that are loyal to the GNA.
Speaking on condition of anonymity, they said that GNA Interior Minister Fathi Bashagha had devised a plan to disarm the militias and other armed factions that are loyal to the government. These efforts have been met with refusal by faction leaders, who have rejected Bashagha’s labelling them as militias even though the minister enjoys the support of the American administration and United Nations mission in Libya.
The sources predicted that clashes will intensify in coming days between the militias and GNA. Bashagha has sought to restructure the militia by merging them in some security units. The sources added that the militia loyalties are split between those allied to the minister and others that support Defense Minister Salah al-Namroush. Both officials have sought to bolster military and security ties with Turkey.
REGIONAL REPORTED INCIDENT NUMBERS: 27 OCTOBER – 03 NOVEMBER 20
The 5+5 Joint Military Commission will meet from 2 to 4 November for a fifth round of talks and for the first time inside Libya, in the city of Ghadames, UNSMIL announced on Saturday. This round of talks comes after the signing of a ceasefire agreement by both delegations on 23 October in Geneva and will be attended by Acting Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for Libya Stephanie Williams. Participants will initiate discussions on the implementation of the ceasefire agreement, including through the establishment of sub-committees, as well as on a monitoring and verification mechanism, it revealed. LIBYA HERALD
Libyan Prime Minister Fayez Al-Sarraj said Friday that he gave up his decision to resign until a new government is formed. Sarraj will remain in office until the ongoing intra-Libyan political dialogue talks come to an end, Libyan government spokesman Galib al-Zaklai said on Twitter. The news came a day after the High Council of State urged Sarraj, the head of the Presidential Council, to stay until a new presidential council is selected in order to avoid a political vacuum and to keep Libya’s stability. The U.N. Support Mission in Libya and the Parliament in Tripoli also called on Sarraj to postpone his decision, citing “reasons of higher interest.” LIBYAN EXPRESS
The Governments of France, Germany, Italy and United Kingdom today warmly welcomed the results of the UN mediated Fourth Round of the intra-Libyan Joint Military Commission (5+5), the conclusion by the Libyan parties of a permanent cease-fire agreement and the announcement by the United Nations Support Mission in Libya of the launch of the Libyan Political Dialogue Forum which gathered remotely for the first time on October 26. They called on the Libyan parties to abide by their commitments and implement the agreement in full. The stage is now set for the next crucial step of the intra-Libyan dialogue through the upcoming meeting of the Libyan Political Dialogue Forum in Tunis, starting on November 9, in which the Libyan themselves will agree on the future institutional framework of the country and on a path of stability, security and prosperity, the statement said. LIBYA HERALD
Tunisian Foreign Minister, Othman Al-Jarandi discussed on Friday, with the US ambassadors to Libya and Tunisia, Richard Norland and Donald Blume, the latest developments in Libya. The discussions came within the framework of Tunisia’s hosting of the Libyan Political Dialogue Forum under the auspices of the United Nations. The meeting discussed ways to support the forum to achieve a permanent political settlement in Libya, according to the Media Office of the Tunisian Foreign Ministry. It added that the ambassadors reaffirmed their country’s support for the Libyan Political Dialogue Forum, appreciating the efforts made by Tunisia to provide success for this important dialogue to solve the Libyan crisis. LIBYA OBSERVER
AIRPORTS & BORDERS STATUS
The total number of Covid-19 cases in Libya rose to 62,045 including 35,853 recoveries and 871 fatalities on 31 October 20.